Box Hill is a pretty good middle-class eastern suburb of greater Melbourne in Victoria, Australia. Via the freeway it is fourteen kilometres from the cbd of Melbourne. The current city of Box Hill has got an official population of just below 12 000 individuals. For administrative requirements, Box Hill is now part of the City of Whitehorse.
Prior to the arrival of Europeans the place had been where you can the Wurundjeri Aboriginal people. The earliest European landholder was Arundel Wrighte whom took up a pastoral lease on the property in 1938. Box Hill ended up being officially announced a city in 1927 with it expanding in the next century into its own city. In 1871, the inhabitants of the township was 154 and it was mostly orchards, vineyards and other blended kinds of farming. During this time the town became a central market centre for the fruits and vegetables that have been grown in the area back then. Box Hill was consumed into greater Melbourne from the 50's during the eastern growth of Melbourne. The specific term of Box Hill had been picked at the gathering in 1860 of local citizens introduced several desired place names. A contest took place and won by a storekeeper, Silas Padgham, who was also the very first postmaster in the region. He was born in Box Hill in Surrey, England, so this become the name for the township.
Nowadays, Box Hill is known for its big Chinese population with over 65% of the population not being born the country. Box Hill also has Melbourne’s tallest high rise properties outside of the central business district and due to this is often referred to as Melbourne's second city. It has today become a important transport hub for the eastern suburbs with certainly one of the most busy suburban train and bus stations. It provides a significant hospital which initially opened up in 1956 as well as a significant shopping precinct. The area is served by three high schools and a TAFE together with a number of primary schools and kindergartens.
An interesting landmark in Box Hill is the old Surrey Dive which had been a well-known swimming area. It was never a real lake, but a pit which was excavated to produce clay for the brick factory close by, starting in 1880 which was filled up with water. There are numerous unsubstantiated rumours and accounts about drownings at the lake. Surrey Dive was developed at that time into amongst Australia's premier swimming competition locations. It was useful for competition before the 1930s, when a pool ended up being constructed next to the Dive. The building of the brickworks still exist however has not operated for a very long time and has ended up being the target of graffiti spammers and vandals recently. Consequently it is currently fenced off and run down. The massive smokestack continues to cast a shadow over the dive. The Dive is currently an ornamental lake and also the home for the model boat club. The lake has stopped being useful for swimming. The old brickworks is a protected heritage location.